TEN THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT BIRD ISLAND BUNGALOWS
Bird Island Bungalows is a remote eco-resort. Our electricity comes from the sun, water from the clouds. We share our sweet stretch of jungle with birds, bugs, sloths and monkeys. The road is unpaved, and the sea is unpredictable. It is peaceful, but not quiet – between breaking waves chattering critters there is rarely a dull moment. If you’re not sure if Bird Island Bungalows is the right fit for you, please review our FAQ’s or contact us directly.
1. Off the Beaten Path - Our resort is on the undeveloped north shore of Isla Colón, the main Island of Bocas del Toro. We're not easy to reach, which is how we like it. We aspire to offer an experience rather than just a place to sleep for the night. We do not recommend staying here if you want to party in town or shop on a daily basis. We do recommend booking more than one night, as it takes some effort to get here.
2. Off the Grid - We have an extensive solar array for electricity, and dozens of cisterns collecting rainwater, but resources are limited, and conservation is encouraged. We ask that guests take short showers, reuse towels, and turn off lights when not in use. A flashlight at night comes in handy, as outdoor lighting is limited. There is no air conditioning, but we do offer high-speed internet :)
3. Au Naturel - While our rooms are comfortable, and facilities are up-to-date, a stay at Bird Island Bungalow is an immersion in tropical jungle living. Guest rooms are fully enclosed, but some bathrooms have unscreened openings, and most of our common spaces (dining area, bar, reception) are exposed to the surrounding rainforest. Wind, precipitation, and insect encounters are not uncommon.
4. Plant Forward - Each night we offer a menu from a different part of the world, with a variety of starters, entrés and desserts. Yet the foundation for all our food is fresh, local ingredients, primarily fruits and vegetables, cooked with an eye towards health and wellness. Most of our main dishes are vegan, with an option to add fresh seafood, chicken, tofu, or chorizo. All meals are cooked and plated to order.
5. On Island Time - We are so grateful for our amazing staff, many of whom grew up within walking distance of our small resort. They were chosen for their kindness, work ethic, and authentic enthusiasm in welcoming guests to their pristine part of the world. Some are working in hospitality for the first time, and our approach to providing a memorable experience is to do so well, not quickly.
6. Child Free - We love children, truly, but given our remote location, on a steep cliff, with an unsupervised pool, beside an unpredictable ocean, with the nearest medical care an hour away, we do not allow children. We welcome young adults 16 years and older.
7. Unpredictable - Some things are beyond our control and letting go of expectations is an important step to appreciating island life. Flights are delayed, taxis misdirected, luggage lost. Sometimes the ocean can be rougher than expected, or the sun refuses to come out. We do our best to provide the best service possible, and to coordinate with partners who provide support. But things don’t always go according to plans.
8. Risky - We offer a wide range of activities and excursions at Bird Island: yoga, kayaking, paddle-boarding, snorkeling, jungle hiking, surfing, and day trips to nearby islands. Our goal is to curate the experience of a lifetime, but guest safety is a top priority. At times conditions will not be appropriate for some activities, and we always ask that guests consider the risks of any activity before undertaking them.
9. Damp - We are blessed with reliable tropical weather here in Bocas del Toro, which means the average temperature is about 26 celsius (79 fahrenheit) year round. Tropical showers are also common, and while there are “drier” months (typically February to April, and September), you are likely to encounter at least some rain any time of year. The good news is that these showers typically don’t last long, and the cooling effects of rain are generally a welcome respite from the afternoon heat.
10. Non refundable - Due to our small size and limited resources, our cancellation policy is strict. Guests who cancel at least 30 days before arrival are eligible for a full refund (minus $20 processing fee). Guests who cancel within 30 days of arrival, or who don’t show up, will be charged the full price of the reservation. Room rates are based on a maximum of two guests. Additional guests will be charged $35 per night, and we charge an additional 3% fee for credit card payments on site.